Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Which is the Breakaway Group?

I've been following the Jeffs trial in the Deseret News. Since they started allowing anonymous comments to be posted on stories, there have (predictably) been some pretty nasty things said. Internet trolls will be internet trolls. At the risk of feeding the trolls, I had some thoughts on what one of them said, something along the lines of "the FLDS church follows the religion founded by Joseph Smith more closely than the LDS church does." No justification given.

OK, I'll just have to read his mind. The FLDS church is most famous for its practice of polygamy, so I can only assume that's what he's talking about. LDS: clearly not practicing it any more. LDS 0, FLDS 1. But wait, the idea of polygamy wasn't even introduced until 1831, the religion "as founded by Joseph Smith" did not include polygamy. But hey, I'm feeling generous, let's leave the score as it is.

Now, Joseph Smith clearly taught that everyone had their own agency, especially including those entering into polygamous marriages. FLDS practices arranged marriages, and when a girl like the witness in the Jeffs trial asks not to be a part of it, she is told to give herself to her arranged husband. Agency? I'm afraid I'm going to have to dock a point. LDS 0, FLDS 0.

Joseph Smith did not break up marriages as a punishment for apostasy, so far as I know. Many ex-FLDS have testified that their wives were given to other men when they left. Without hearing what the wives have to say, I hesitate to change the score based on this one.

Enough about polygamy. What was the religion "as founded by Joseph Smith" really based on? The Book of Mormon is a pretty key part. I don't know how much the FLDS uses the Book of Mormon, but I'll be generous again. LDS 1, FLDS 1. Continuing revelation? LDS 2, FLDS 2. Ahh, but who has the authority to receive revelation for the church? The current prophet, including (in 1890) (drum roll...) Wilford Woodruff. FLDS believes that Wilford Woodruff led us astray when he abandoned polygamy. LDS 3, FLDS 2. Joseph Smith taught that a man cannot take authority upon himself, that he "must be called of God by prophecy..." I don't know where the Jeffs family gets their authority, but it wasn't given by Wilford Woodruff. LDS 4, FLDS 2. Another important teaching was the gathering of Israel, aka missionary work. Does FLDS have missionaries? LDS 5, FLDS 2.

Perhaps all I've succeeded in doing is criticized FLDS in the same way that our critics attack us. Or shown my own ignorance about FLDS. Or fed the Internet trolls. (Good thing I haven't publicized this blog, huh?)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lars,

    Nice post. Regarding the FLDS and the Book of Mormon--they certainly do use it....although if the SL Tribune can be trusted, it sounds like it's getting less emphasis. Here's what they say: "Of late, Jeffs is said to have suggested that members not bother reading scriptures or listening to tapes and instead rely solely on his instructions, which, he says, are inspired of God."

    The whole article is interesting:
    http://www.sltrib.com/polygamy/ci_3805407

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, well, the problem with articles about the FLDS is that they're rather one-sided. The only FLDS that seem inclined to talk to newspapers are those that clearly have a bone to pick with Jeffs. (Legitimately, perhaps, but still...)

    As a side note, I seem to remember from Pres. Hinckley's biography that some similar things were said about him usurping authority when he was the 3rd Counselor to Pres. Kimball and the only member of the Presidency who wasn't ailing. In fact, neither Pres. Kimball nor Pres. Romney were even lucid at times.

    Was Pres. Hinckley whispering into his ear the entire time? Well, to a limited extent he may have, but not in any way inappropriately. As evidence, I think one of the easiest things to usurp would have been in selecting new apostles, just suggest a name and go... But a long time passed with only 10 apostles, including at least one general conference. Finally, who got called? None other than Pres. Kimball's own heart surgeon. That was all him. The biography said some people thought Pres. Kimball had lost it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be careful about stating your blog is unpublicized. Even though you haven't announced to the world you have a blog, I was able to stumble upon your comments through other peoples blogs.

    One must be careful about criticizing other religions. It shows little tolerance toward fellow people who may have no control over what religion they are born into or even may choose to affiliate themselves with.

    This blog is pulic regardless of who is aware of it. Please be careful and more respectful of who you speak about in a public setting.

    (Also, in the Book of Mormon title page debate, this is simply solved by noting that the book with the changed title page was published by Doubleday, not the Church)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, herein lies my issue with blogs. Ideally, it would only be visible to those to whom I allow access, rather than to the public. Blogspot doesn't allow me to enforce such a policy, so it's sorta enforced by me only letting my friends know about it.

    Ideally, I would also not allow anonymous comments, I would require at least some kind of name to go with the comment, because again, my intended audience is not an open forum, it's mostly myself and a few close friends, and anonymity lets complete strangers in. (I have temporarily allowed anonymous comments for my recent engagement announcement.)

    All that said, I do appreciate your point. My motivation behind this post is to emphasize the absurdity of the remark, rather than criticize FLDS. I certainly didn't intend disrespect towards their beliefs-- I'm a big fan of treating others as I wish to be treated. But I suppose if I were to see some blog post like this detailing how Mormons have departed from Christianity, I would probably feel criticized too.

    As a side note, I've often wondered what the fate of FLDS is going to be-- if it's true that Pres. Jeffs has stepped down as their leader, they may be in a great deal of confusion. Just as a little thought experiment: what would happen if Pres. Hinckley were to announce in general conference that a large group of FLDS wished to become baptized LDS? And what would happen to their polygamous marriages, given that they were entered into in good faith?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, and the Book of Mormon title page... quoting the Deseret News who in turn quotes church spokesman Mark Tuttle: "The change will be included in the next edition of the Book of Mormon printed by the church," so it's not just the Doubleday edition that's changed.

    ReplyDelete