Friday, November 09, 2007

The most correct book...

I don't know why I keep writing such heavy topics all the time. Perhaps my morbid curiosity at seeing venom spewed from people who see themselves as enlightened.

The latest is that the introduction page to the Book of Mormon has recently been updated. Note that this is the introduction, not the text. (Granted, some changes in the text have occurred, but that's another topic that has been adequately addressed elsewhere.)

I posted a comment in the readers' section that I rather liked. The anonymity may have made me a little feisty. I can't imagine anyone being very happy about being called "blind sheep," but especially to have the epithet turned back on them! Here is the text:

"...because a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book. Correct doctrinally. That has always been the claim.

"And no, just because you heard something from numerous talks and lessons from a lay ministry, no matter how long perpetuated, does not make it a doctrine that is suddenly being refuted. I've heard a lot of weird things from talks and lessons too, but we all have recourse to God to separate the wheat from the chaff. Seems to me that those who never took advantage of that are the "blind sheep" that they are so fond of accusing the rest of us as."

I would go further and argue that there was no real danger in Sis. Jones telling her 14-year-olds in Sunday school class that she preached to the Lamanites in South America on her mission. We always work with abstractions in the world, because it's too complex to squeeze all possible truth in there. There's still no danger. I'm Swedish. Is that a lie just because I have more English ancestry than Swedish? (Heck, there even seems to be a little Lamanite blood in there too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment